Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Lunchtime Discussion with the Minority Leader

After my discussion with the Majority Leader, I thought it would only be fair to catch up with Minority Leader McConnell (R-KY) to hear his thoughts on tonight's proceedings. 

He started by telling me "I'm looking forward to a productive and orderly session. I think that there is some good legislation that has been produced thus far," but assured "there will certainly be strong opposition to some of the bills proposed."

"The new Democrat Leadership [with Majority Leader Schumer] and I have worked hard to ensure that some of the most controversial Democrat proposals have been amended...[but] in order to allow the current bipartisan spirit of cooperation to continue, I'd prefer not to comment on too many specific points of the negotiation until a unanimous consent agreement is finalized".

He did tell me, though, that the SHOP Act "will be tested in a pilot study" and the Administration's controversial regulatory proposal, once referred to by the Senator as "The Blank Check Act of 2009", "l now has an overall cap on spending and a cap on how much any one company can receive".

No comments:

Post a Comment